We woke up normal, just like any other regular day. Targhee had some text books to read and I had some dishes to get done so I entertained Leilani at the dishwasher while Targhee read. She climbed up inside and laughed and played as she watched me wash dishes- all very exciting from a higher point of view. She grabs the tupperware and dishes and I put them back in. Fun game- let me tell ya. She had been working on trying to pull a glass out but it was a little wedged so I continued drying just when she yanked hard enough to get it out. I went to take it from her, she dodged and slipped. Down she fell with the glass in her hand and it shattered everywhere. She fell on the glass. I picked her up see blood everywhere. Freak out! Targhee runs in. I grab a towel and still see more blood. Where is it coming from? I finally see about an inch gash out of her forehead. Freak out again. Shaking, crying, and trying to hold a towel on my babies head we rush out to the car and speed to the emergency room praying the whole way there. I got her to calm down in the car but when we got to the hospital she started screaming again. Dumb secretary lady on the phone. Mom and Dad and baby covered in blood pacing the floor wondering if SOMEBODY is going to help us. Finally get us in a room. Nurse comes in and starts cleaning blood. Volunteer lady brings cute little hand made teddy bears, books, and bubbles to distract (mostly mom, but it worked for Leilani too). We realize that she has two gashes, one in her cheek and one on her forehead. The doctor comes in (everyone is quite calm by the way- don't seem to be in any hurry). Leilani goes under anesthesia. Mom and Dad cry as they watch their little girl lie limply on the hospital bed. Doctor stitches up the gashes (stitches take about 45 minutes) Leilani starts coming out of it after about 30 minutes into the stitching but says "Hi" very sweetly over and over. They give her more anesthesia. She's out for good this time. Doctor lets us examine stitching. Mom's pretty impressed, Dad's stressed. Leilani decides to sleep and sleep and sleep. It's nap time. Who wants to be woken up during nap time especially after anesthesia and such an eventful morning? Mom and Dad try not to stress out but do just a little bit more because she won't wake up. Finally doctor comes in, gives her a little bit harder shake than Mom and Dad have been and Leilani wakes up, loopy and confused. Wait for about an hour for the effects to wear off. Leilani takes everything like a champ, but is a little annoyed that she can't stand up and run like usual.
We might look calm in these pictures, but I assure you, we were not.
Waiting in the ER for the doctor
Somebody made these adorable bears for the hospital. I can't tell you how much that meant to me thinking that someone did that so my little girl could have something to cuddle.
After she got all stitched up and was out from the anesthesia. She looked so peaceful but so little and helpless. It was hard to let her stay there.
She woke up and feeling really weird, but was still a trooper and a sweetheart.
We’re home now. Leilani is a sweetheart. Snuggling every now and then. She’s still confused at why she can’t stand up and why Mom and Dad have to help her walk everywhere, but she’s taking a nap now and I’m trying to relearn how to breath in customary easy breaths. She’ll only need the stitches in for a week and then they’ll keep the tape on it. The cuts were clean and the doctor said the scarring should be very minimal. When I first saw the gash I thought they might have to do a skin graft or something so I was really pleased that the stitches closed it up so nicely. I just keep thinking of my beautiful baby’s face with huge scars all over it and want to hide my face and cry, but I keep trying to remember when my nephew Dallin got burned and how you can’t see a single scar now.
Probably the scariest experience of my life. I don’t like feeling so helpless and thinking that if I would have only done this or that, it wouldn’t have happened. I know things like this happen and they will continue to happen, and it could have been a lot worse so I am just counting my blessings that she is just fine. Let’s just say Targhee already has plans to throw away ALL our glasses and get plastic everything. He’ll probably have the whole house bubble wrapped by the end of the day.
Probably the scariest experience of my life. I don’t like feeling so helpless and thinking that if I would have only done this or that, it wouldn’t have happened. I know things like this happen and they will continue to happen, and it could have been a lot worse so I am just counting my blessings that she is just fine. Let’s just say Targhee already has plans to throw away ALL our glasses and get plastic everything. He’ll probably have the whole house bubble wrapped by the end of the day.










MONICA!!!! Oh my gosh.... I am bawling. Seriously, how scary! I cannot even imagine what a traumatic experience this was for you and Targhee. What a horrible thing to go through. Wow... I am just in awe. It's things like this that really test your strength. I am really glad it all turned out ok, but I am so sorry you had to go through this. I'll pray for a quick recovery :-(
ReplyDeleteMonica, I'm bawling my eyes out right now. HOW SCARY!!! I'm so sorry you guys had to go through this. Thank heavens that Targhee was home with you when all this happened!! ...And I know EXACTLY how you feel about the stupid ER secretary and the nurses taking their sweet time. Believe me, we have had more than our share of trips to the ER with our little Logan. ...This is the first time I heard of your experience: I just want to rush over right now and give you a big hug!
ReplyDeleteOH MY GOSH!!!! I would be so scared too!!! I'm so glad she is okay and you guys are too!! SERIOUSLY SCARY!!!
ReplyDeleteReading this just about made me cry! Poor little Leilani! I can't even imagine. I am so glad that she's doing okay (you, too). If you need anything, just let me know.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad it worked out ok! She's so brave!
ReplyDeleteHoly smokes! Isn't it crazy how a simple thing like a glass cup and a slip can cause so much!? I would have freaked out too. She'll be fine though, what a sweetheart. I love that she woke up and said, "hi!" over and over. You take it easy and just relax!
ReplyDelete