Monday, January 17, 2011

10 Things I've learned since becoming a mom

1. Spending time with my child is the most important thing. 
It's easy for me to get caught up in the things I have to do (or want to do), and sometimes feel annoyed that Leilani is whining at my feet, but one day it hit me that the reason she was whining was because I wasn't spending time with her.  After that, I've tried to make her the very first priority by getting her involved in what I was doing, (because there are things that I do have to do) so she didn't feel neglected.

2. The gospel of Jesus Christ and his plan is true. 
I didn't just learn this in the last year, but my testimony of it has definitely been strengthened.

3. Use nap time wisely. 
It took me a little while to get this one.  In fact, I'm still learning it.  But, whether it's cleaning the house, taking a shower, taking a nap, or doing homework, those few hours are precious.

4. Laugh!
Situations can easily get thrown out of proportion in the moment, but if I can just remember to laugh about it.  Nothing is really that bad.

5. It's ok! 
I don't have to be the perfect mom, the perfect wife, the perfect homemaker, the perfect visiting teacher, the perfect anything... in fact, I won't be.  My dishes won't always get done, my house won't always look well put together, my little girl won't always have bows in her hair... and it's ok!

6. Always plan an hour longer to get ready than you think you should.
 I don't know if I've been on time for anything since becoming a Mom.

7. Make time for your husband. 
It has been so important for Targhee and I to go out every once in a while just the two of us.  It gives us a few minutes to leave behind the business of life and remember how much we enjoy each other.  A happy mom and dad make happy children.

8. Take time for yourself.
Simple as that.  My projects have provided some much needed me time.                  

9. Raising a child is hard work!
There is no sick leave, no vacation time, no leaving the office, I am a mom 24/7 whether I want to be at that moment or not:)  and beleive me there are times that I wish I could drop kick Leilani out the door, but then pay day comes, (a snuggle or a kiss, a sweet giggle and happy smile), and being a Mom is the best thing in the whole world.

10. Don't be afraid.
I'm still trying to learn this.  Every time a new stage or phase comes means change and I've never been a huge fan of change, probably because of the fear of the unknown, but so far each change has brought new learning and growth.  So future come what may...and I will learn to love it!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with all of those! haha, motherhood has been some of the best (and worst) times in my life but, like the first point, spending TIME is what makes us really soak in those awesome moments. It's so good to reflect on what we've learned especially since there's no training manual on being a mommy! Good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Such great and insightful lessons. I don't think there is anything to be said... you said it all (and very well, may I add!) You are a great mother and Leilani will forever appreciate it :-)

    ReplyDelete