Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fitness Tip #3

So, I have to admit I'm a little bit more discouraged this week.
I don't think I've even lost any weight from when I started.
Those two pounds were iffy.
We haven't had a scale throughout our married life because I've always said I don't really care what my number is, I just care how I feel when I look at myself.
But since I was being serious about losing weight this year I decided to make the investment.
Ok, not really an investment, more like $7 at Walmart, which I think is part of the problem.
It's not digital.
I can't read the numbers when standing straight up, and if I try to lean over the weight changes.
*Sigh*
When I weighed in yesterday it said I had gained two pounds from my starting point.
I threw my hands up and said I give up.
Not for good.
Just for a second.
So here is my fitness tip for this week which I think is my biggest downfall.

Fitness Tip #3

Feed Yourself Lean

All the exercise in the world cannot compensate for poor eating habits.  Our bodies need regular, lean, and fiber rich meals.  Do not diet; rather eat small amounts, more often.  Rotate meals and snacks every 2 1/2 to 3 hours without fail, and your body will start metabolizing much more efficiently.  Skipping breakfast is not an option for you.*  Eating after dinner is not an option.  Stop 3 hours before bedtime for optimum calorie burn.  Meals and snacks should be an equal portion of lean protein and fiber rich carbohydrates.


*Skipping breakfast is how the sumo wrestlers train. Who here wants to look like a sumo wrestler?  Ha! Not me!  When we skip meals our body automatically stores what we do eat as fat because it thinks it needs to go into survival mode.  Eating small portions (200-250 calories) every few hours fuels our bodies and it actually burns what we eat faster.
We are going to do what fit people do, not what fat people do:)

1 comment:

  1. So I laughed outloud when I saw that picture.... what better motivation do you need?! Ha ha As for being discouraged... don't be! Like you have said before, it's a long term goal. You also have to remember when you exercise that you are building muscle, which weighs a LOT more than fat. So you probably have been losing fat, and just gaining muscle to compensate (which is why the number didn't go down like you thought). This is why atheletes go by Body Fat Index instead of weight. Because weight is not a very good indicator of how healthy you actually are. Karl Malone weighed 250lbs when he played for the Jazz. By just looking at the number, he was overweight. BUT... he was only 3% body fat. So he "weighed" so much because he had so much muscle. Losing "weight" isn't as important as losing fat. One of your better options may be to save up for a body fat indicator. It would give you a much more realistic idea of whether or not you are meeting your goals. Keep up the good work! :-)

    ReplyDelete