Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Twilight

I know what you're thinking
"That was SO last year"
Yes, I'm a little behind the times,
but le' me esplain.
I got home from my mission August of 2008 and started school four days later.
That semester I was taking a children's literature class and my teacher was explaining the importance of having a broad spectrum of books in your classroom library.
Cotton candy is what she called books with no depth.
Just pure fluff.
She said those books were fine for those children who probably won't pick up a meat and potatoes book, but they can pick up some cotton candy anywhere.  You want to have the meat and potatoes in your classroom.
She then asked who had read "Twilight"
Me being fresh off the mish had no idea what she was talking about and didn't raise my hand.
I looked around the classroom and immediately felt two inches tall.
I was, by no exaggeration, the ONLY person in the entire class who had not read the book.
She then asked what they learned from that book.
No one spoke.
Not one person could come up with a single thing they had learned.
Cotton candy.
Well, me with my post missionary mind set immediately through that book out the window.
To me, entertainment was considered evil and a waste of time.
Later when the movie came out, Targhee and I went to see it just to find out what all the hullabaloo was about.
We laughed ourselves to sleep that night at the pure sappy, cheesy, ridiculousness of it all.
For the life of me I couldn't see what the huge obsession was all about.
I've never been one to follow the crowd so just the pure fact that 80% of the population was up in arms about it turned me off.

Fast forward a few years.
I'm still in school.
I'm a mom.
I have extra time that I wasn't planning on having this semester
(which I was filling up with spider solitaire lol :)
I wanted to be entertained.
WHAT?
Yes, I've since calmed the eccentric mission monster and enjoy being entertained.
So, I picked it up.
AND
I really enjoyed it.
No, I was not given any life lessons from it.
But it is entertaining.
Sappy? Cheesy? Ridiculous?
Yes!
Although the poor quality acting in the movie make the sappy parts WAY worse than the book ever intended.
But in all fairness.  I read over 400 pages in less than a week.
I don't do that!
So kudos to Stephanie Meyer for knowing how to entertain:)
Am I going to join a team and have their faces tatooed on my arm?
I don't think so.
But I will add it to my list of favorite books to read.

5 comments:

  1. I feel the same way.... she is an amazing author, but that's where my love for the Twilight series ends. Anyone who wants to fall head over heals for a guy whose only desire is to eat you is crazy....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to hang out more. I read the 1st book and felt the same way. A page turner, but I definitly didn't do anything to make me a better person. My sister compared it to cheap chocolate: it's really not that good, and you know there are better things out there, but it's still chocolate and you still enjoy it.

    Which makes me wonder: what books do you like? Not that we have any more room for books, but I'm always looking for a good read :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha, I love it. Monica, I totally felt the same way!! When I got back, and everyone was so obsessed with this Twilight saga, my kid sister was re reading them for the billionth time and I totally discarded the series as complete nonsense and a waist of life. To support my sister, I attended the midnight showing of Twilight with her and mocked the rediculous obsession of all those women and girls screaming as each Cullen was introduced haha. I eventually tried reading the book but was so closed off to it that I couldn't get through the first chapter. It wasn't till just a year ago that I decided to try again and suddenly found I couldn't stop reading it! Or the second, or the third, or the fourth! the movies are totally silly, but Stephanie Meyer does write a good book. And, I read the Host first, that might have softened my heart to reading Twilight. I loved the Host. That's my rant haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little pros right there was better than any paragraph Stephanie Meyers wrote in those books! Yes, I read them and enjoyed them, but she is not an amazing writer! She had a good, creative, out-there story to tell and we all just ate it up. But I am not a gaga Twilight fan either. I am very much a "just like to be entertained" kind of person, so I'm not really picky about books, shows, movies, live entertainment. Not saying that's good, but it's me.

    ReplyDelete