Integrating
This is how I have tried to work the advice into my own life.
This is how I have tried to work the advice into my own life.
1. You're Not Alone
I have had to tell myself, "It's ok! This is Normal," about 3,485,000 times since I started working on being a happy and productive stay at home Mom.
I am not alone.
But it took me reaching out to others before I was really able to believe that.
2. Get Dressed
I started small. That very first week, the only thing I focused on was getting ready every day and making my bed. I'm not even joking, that was my only goal and I wasn't even perfect at it that week. But, I got better. I started realizing that because I was already dressed and ready for the day that I was more willing to leave the house. It didn't seem like that crazy of an idea.
Also, before this, getting Leilani to put her clothes on was a constant daily battle. Well, once I was dressed and ready, problem solved. I was leading by example. DUH! Why did it not occur to me that of course my toddler would not want to get dressed if her Mom wasn't even going to, (Sigh) I guess we each learn at our own pace:)
I think I was just so used to my house being the place where I wear my lounge clothes. Never in my life have I just always been home. I've been a social person before and have been going to school and working. I have had to change my perspective because now my home is my job.
3. Be Social
This took some extra stepping out of my comfort zone, but I realized that this was the area I was lacking most in my life and that was pulling me down the hardest. I didn't know of anything going on in my neighborhood so I had to create it.
I sent an invitation to mothers I knew around the area to come to a play group at my house.
I have now made and continue building friendships that I would not have otherwise.
There's a different group of people each week depending on who can make it, but we have a lot of fun and it is so good to talk to other adults, especially Moms who are in the same situation as me. If you have a Tuesday you want to join us, please come:)
4. Exercise
I cannot take credit for this one at all. A friend from my ward asked if anyone wanted to exercise with her in the mornings and I jumped right on that! A friend AND an exercise buddy. I was so excited! She keeps me motivated to get up in the mornings and we help each other try to work a little bit harder each time. It's very casual but it fits my needs and I really do feel better the days we get together than the days we don't.
5. Seek Help
My help came in the form of an Energy Kinesiologist. It is a natural alternative type of medicine. There are no pills or prescriptions involved which was the biggest enticement to me since I was nursing. It has been a wonderful experience going to her and learning more about myself and my body. Empowering is the word that comes to mind. You are more than welcome to contact me (in fact PLEASE contact me) if you would like a referral.
Of course I still have good days and bad days. But as far as my overall attitude and outlook of my current life situation goes, I'm happy to be where I am and am just working little by little to improve.
The greatest thing about that first letter I wrote was that instead of those feelings pushing me down, they were trying to push me forward into changes that would be better for my life. I was ready to make those changes, so please don't read this and think "Oh crap! I'm not doing that either! I guess I better add that to my list of a million other things I need to work on." These are just things that worked for me, and if they help, awesome!
We can get through this crazy time together:)
Of course I still have good days and bad days. But as far as my overall attitude and outlook of my current life situation goes, I'm happy to be where I am and am just working little by little to improve.
The greatest thing about that first letter I wrote was that instead of those feelings pushing me down, they were trying to push me forward into changes that would be better for my life. I was ready to make those changes, so please don't read this and think "Oh crap! I'm not doing that either! I guess I better add that to my list of a million other things I need to work on." These are just things that worked for me, and if they help, awesome!
We can get through this crazy time together:)
Missed the first posts? Continue Reading...





Love this series of posts!!!! Serious. It spoke to me. I've had these same feelings for a long time, I just couldn't articulate them. I love all your sister's advice. Thank them for me!
ReplyDeleteOh seriously, kudos. I'm right here with ya. So glad I met you in China. Too bad you don't live in Canada, we'd totally hang out. My saving grace is my mommy network. As soon as I moved to High River (I looked and felt like a crazy person) The ONE person I know here at church told me about a lady who runs a play-group so I went up to her and said, "Hi, I heard you have a play group. Hook me up!" If I don't have a mommy-network, I'll shrivel up and die. Conversation, outings, exercise, girls nights out, babysitting swaps= life savers. Facebook is NOT an accurate portrayal of real life. People only put the good stuff on there. Same with blogs for the most part. I feel the same way- I totally go on expecting to get something out of it and I don't. Eg. my profile picture. You don't see that I randomly grabbed a mask kit at Target for Bailey because I've been neglecting her with my newborn. I'm wearing frumpy clothes, I 'm surrounded by half folded laundry and moving boxes, I'm experiencing crappy baby blues, and I haven't gotten one thing on my list done that day other than keeping my kids alive. It's like treading water for a long time- just trying to keep your head above water! Thanks for the advice and I'm totally going to do a bunch of these! Thanks! You are awesome. Seriously.
ReplyDeleteFound this series of posts from Judi's new blog (Judi and I were college roomies). Hope you don't mind being blog stalked. What a great series of posts! I had horrible postpartum anxiety with my first and found similar things about myself (I am the youngest of six so we might have similar personalities--I am also not very self-motivated). I found I desperately need sleep, exercise, and friends. That makes babies difficult because especially at first, they pretty much deny all three. But at least figuring out those needs helped me come up with a plan of action for baby #2. :) thanks for posting!
ReplyDelete