Saturday, January 26, 2013

To California and Back

After Christmas I decided it had been way too long since I had seen some of my family and since three of my sisters would be together the first of January, I wanted to be there too.
Targhee worked some magic at his job then we packed our bags and headed out!
The kids had no idea what they were in for.  All they knew is that we were going to California which sounded exciting and that there would be cousins to play with!  
Four movies and 12 hours later we made it:)
They were troopers though.
We stayed at my sister, Allison's house and sufficiently wrecked havoc where havoc could be had.
 
(leave it up to boys to figure out how to make a blow dart out of foam blocks:) 

Allison pulled out the big guns with her dress up collection and Minnie Mouse has never been so adored. 

Thursday we met everyone at the park and a small zoo, which we deemed to be more of a treasure hunt in search of the animals.  They must have taken a winter sabbatical.
Leilani was so excited she peed her pants...literally.  Thus the adorable outfit you see before you.
Hey look! Animals!
Spider monkeys and a green iguana.
TJ is a magician when it comes to socks.
Now you see them...
Now you don't.
Works like a charm every time.
We did get a show from the mountain lion though.
They're used to cooler climates.
That night we went to Callie's and ate a delicious dinner.
Then the kids played while the sisters crafted.  
I think TJ and Leilani were put to bed in a different spot the whole trip but they were good sports about it and transferred amazingly well.
TJ unfortunately adopted a bad habit of no nap taking, though. Anyone got a remedy for that?

Annie and Leilani's morning ritual. 
The Thumb Suckers!

Friday night we had a big party planned at my brother-in-law's work office.
We were headed to the party when this happened!
our car
the other car
Bummer!
I had to make a quick stop coming over some train tracks for a backed up red light and the car behind me didn't stop fast enough.
We were all a little shaken up.  Both kids were crying but mostly out of the shock of the hit, not because they were injured.  It's always a blessing to look back on these incidents with no injuries.
Well, that darn muffler caused me much grief for the next week.  Because nothing of this nature is ever done easily or with efficiency, our trip was extended an extra week (which wasn't necessarily a bad thing it's just hard not to have control of your own situation), we had to pay a lot more money than we would have liked to fix it and then had to buy Targhee a plane ticket home so he could return to school and work. 
I am so grateful to have had family so close and available.  They were all very supportive through the whole mess and I cannot say enough my appreciation for their hospitality! Thank you!!
I hope there will not be a next time, but if there ever is, I have learned a lot from this experience that will hopefully help me avoid some stress in the future.

We still enjoyed our party that night, though! We had food and fountain drinks and a big screen movie and video games and a ping pong table (Callie's the champ:) and balloons and even played several rounds of sardines.
I love being with my family!

I really was glad to spend some extra time.  I don't usually get to see them in "regular life mode" since our gatherings are mostly for their vacations.  It was good for me to see that my life is crazy and normal and GOOD just like theirs.  I learn so many things from my sisters and treasure any time I get to spend with them.

Good-bye loves for Annie.  They were such cute friends.  I think it will get better and better the older they get.

I was anxious for the drive home all week.  A huge storm had hit Utah so I knew I would be driving in some harsh weather and I would also be driving 700 miles by myself with two bitties.  I am happy to report that our trip went without, well, anything to report:)  I know a lot of prayers were said in our behalf and I felt them.
And they even slept for a few hours!!  
We made it home to a restless daddy who was happy to have his family back.
Thank you for the fun California!

No comments:

Post a Comment