I've decided there are two approaches to a birthday
1. You take control and make it a good day. Plan out things that will make you happy and get the gifts that you really want, if you so desire
or
2. Sit back and let whatever happens happen. Keep in mind, however, that you must remove all expectations to avoid disappointment.
I chose to take the latter route this year and it proved to be a good one.
My birthday started out with a surprise by Targhee that he had taken the day off work! That alone made the day 10 times better than I anticipated:)
My sister dropped by with lunch and a brownie pie. Yum!!
Presents
This picture cracks me up. We all seem to be involved in some deep conversation, but considering that I'm speaking with a 2 year old and an 8 months old...that really can't be the case.
After lunch, Targhee took us all down for a day in Salt Lake City
We started at Tracy Aviary in Liberty Park
What a fun little place. I was quite impressed by the birds there, and since we had the entire place to ourselves, we got to spend as much time at each station that we wanted.
Here are some pictures of the birds I was personally impressed with.
a rare type of pheasant
I wish there was something to give more perspective but this vulture was bigger than Leilani!
Black neck swan. I thought this was beautiful
Peacock
Toucan
We watched them feed the pelicans. I've never seen them stretch open their beaks before. It was crazy! These were also huge.
This picture makes me giggle. TJ's totally acting like he knows exactly what to do:)
And in true bird birthday wishing fashion... I got pooped on!!
I'm trying not to see this as a metaphor for the rest of my year.
"Arial, how you doin kid? Woah! What a swim!" Naturally this is what Leilani said when she put these to her face:)
Our next stop was the Disney Store.
The Princess of the day
Leilani checking out her Tinkerbell wings
TJ was most delighted by Dori and the Cheshire Cat
We ate dinner at the Cheesecake Factory.
Again...Yum!
This is how we wait for our food.
And this is what you really go for!
Friday night we had Targhee's family over for cake and ice cream and games.
I asked Leilani what kind of cake I should have and she said, "Pink."
So I did
It was a wonderful birthday and I'm actually so sentimental now (becoming a Mother has seemed to do that to me) that I even shed a few tears of gratitude at the end of the day for all of the love that was shown to me by friends and family.
Thank you to everyone who helped make it special!!




No comments:
Post a Comment