Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Conference Reflections

Can I just tell you that I love Conference!
It seems like every six months I get stuck in this hole of negativity and blahs and then conference rolls around and I feel so much better.
There was so much wonderful advice it's always a little overwhelming to think about, but like Elder Holland said, if we listen to the Spirit there will be something that will speak just too us.
I was really struck by Elder Robbin's talk.
He started out with, "To be or not to be, is actually a very good question"  he then went on to talk about people who are being without doing and people who are doing without being and how both are hypocrites.  He talked about teaching Christlike attributes to our children by focusing on the "be" instead of the "do."  For example, if they get good grades, instead of rewarding the good grades praise the diligence and ability to stay on task.
That is something that I need to do for myself as well as for my daughter.
Sometimes I get so down because I do not have physical evidence of the things I have "done" but the things I should be really focusing on is the "who I'm becoming" by "being" who I want to be.  That is not so easily seen or checked off by a check list, like he stated.
(I live and abide by check lists by the way.)
He also reminded me to think of the children that require patience, (Leilani, eh hem), as a blessing to help me become more Christlike.
She definitely has been a blessing in my life and has definitely tested my patience.  But I am grateful for the opportunity to grow in that part of my life that has been so long neglected.
Thank goodness for the organization of Christ's true church on the earth again!

5 comments:

  1. Monica-I agree. As a mom, this talk really got me thinking about how I want to treat, talk to, teat and discipline my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved that talk too. I was hoping for some good talks on parenting, this time round, and that talk was a gem. ...Although I was thinking that I feel bad for the people translating it, that would be difficult. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My "patience tester" (AKA Ellie) was probably occupying my needs during this talk. I think I'll have to go back and read it. Thanks for your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All some of my favorites as well... by far the best talk was the one on women! Thanks for the share :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monica thanks for posting this! I as well loved this talk! It got me thinking! My kids definitely test my patience on a regular basis! But they are so worth it and like you said we will grow and learn for it! :)

    ReplyDelete