Being a stay at home mom has been a whole new adventure for me. My entire life I have been going to school or working or just...out! I love being a Mom but staying inside all day long by yourself can be pretty tough (and snow in April doesn't help). I asked my amazing mother how she raised seven girls and she responded, "I had hobbies." So it is now my quest to find my hobbies (without cutting into our budget:)
I enjoy making things so I walked around quilt shops and craft stores only to be sorely disappointed by the price tags. While looking through a darling baby quilt book I had an idea. I would make Leilani a quilt that she could look at, touch, and play with. I asked my mom if I could raid her fabric scraps and went to work. I designed the whole thing and am utterly tickled at the finished project.
Each block has a different purpose at different stages in her life. The black and white one and the striped one are her favorite right now. The upper right corner is a mirror. She absolutely loves mirrors. She smiles and flirts at herself and just thinks she's the cutest thing on the block. The top middle and bottom left have different feeling fabrics and beads to play with and the bottom middle has a zipper and buttons when she starts using her fine motor skills. Pretty cool huh! Well, I thought so anyway:) Bows for little girls are quite the fad right now, but I was also disappointed that most of the bows in the store are ridiculously priced. So, I also have a friend who is an incredible mother of three girls and quite crafty. She showed me how to make bows. All you need is ribbon and a hair clip. Here are a couple I've made, but I'm sure there will be more to come.
So, if you have any more ideas of fun things I can do to expand my hobby repertoire. Please let me know:)




Oh I love it. Good job. I have started to become crafty too. I love doing projects and can never get what I want to do next out of my mind. There is a website i just love, love, love. It teaches you how to do projects for your house, redo furniture, thrift shop, all for very cheap. it is allthingsthrifty.com. This blog has inspired me to decorate my house for cheap. Anyways, I am glad you like to do crafts too cuz I need someone to share the obsession with. Miss ya and love ya and see you on saturday.
ReplyDeletewow! what a good job love the quilt!
ReplyDeleteYou amaze me Monica! I had NO idea you made those bows... they were so cute. I love your little quilt too. When I have kids, I'll just pay you to be crafty for me :-)
ReplyDeleteYou are so cool! Um, why don't we live near each other?
ReplyDelete